The exotic passion fruit is a great healthy lifestyle choice. Passion fruit plants grow on long vines that are native to South America. The small colorful fruits have a thick rind filled with tangy tasting pulp. Passion fruit health benefits can help those suffering from both physical and mental conditions. The nutritional value of passion fruit is very high. There are many uses of passion fruit, all of which will allow you to enjoy the benefits of this plant.
Passion Fruit Health Benefits
What is passion fruit good for? In this first part of our article, we will discuss passion fruit health benefits. Further on, you can also see a list of passion fruit nutritional values.
Digestion and Cleansing
Passion fruit seeds are packed with fiber, giving your digestive system many benefits.
- It helps balance the sugar levels in your gut.
- Passion fruit is good for the bacteria that help you to digest food.
- Passion fruit seeds help to relieve constipation and prevent hemorrhoids.
- The digestive health benefits of passion fruit will give your colon an overall cleanse.
There are many passion fruit health benefits you can take advantage of by eating the fruit. However, passion fruit can also be used externally, as a facial mask or hair care product. Here are a few other ways you can use passion fruit for your skin and hair:
- Passion fruit pulp slows down the aging of the skin by protecting collagen.
- Passion fruit controls inflammation, which helps with skin irritation and bloat.
- The seeds contain oils that help to control wrinkles and keep the skin moist.
- The overall effects of passion fruit on your skin will help you look vibrant and youthful.
Passion fruit can help you to ease your mind, a benefit that comes from natural chemicals that are called harmans.
- Drinking passion fruit tea is a traditional cure for insomnia.
- The calming nature of passion fruit makes it good for reducing stress and anxiety.
One of the best passion fruit health benefits is the fruit’s ability to help you drop extra pounds.
- Passion fruit is very low in calories and fat.
- Natural sugars in passion fruit juice provide energy when exercising.
- Passion fruit sugars help the body to recover after a fat burning work out.
- Eating passion fruit helps you to feel full and satisfied. After eating passion fruit, you are less likely to eat junk food and other empty calories.
Nutritional Value of Passion Fruit
What is the nutritional value of passion fruit? Here are some important passion fruit nutrition facts, based on the contents of a piece of passion fruit. As you read this, remember that the fruits are very small. You will have to eat many pieces to feel passion fruit health benefits. But given how delicious passion fruit is, that shouldn’t be a problem.
- Calories: 18 per fruit, which is less than 1% daily value
- Sugars: 2 grams, which is also less than 1% of the carbohydrate daily value
- Dietary Fiber: 2 grams, or 7% daily value
- Passion fruit has trace amounts of protein and fat
- Vitamin A: 229 IU, or 5% daily value
- Vitamin C: 5.4 milligrams, or 9% daily value
- Niacin: 0.3 milligrams, or 1% daily value
- Folate: 2.5 micrograms, or 1% daily value
- Iron: 0.3 milligrams, or 2% daily value
- Potassium: 62.6 milligrams, or 2% daily value
- Magnesium: 5.2 mg, or 1% daily value
- Phosphorus: 12.2 mg, or 1% daily value
The nutritional value of passion fruit has many antioxidant properties. The fruit’s vitamin C, fiber, and other natural substances all help to stop free radicals from damaging skin and tissues. These antioxidants also combat the growth and spread of cancer cells.
Passion Fruit Uses
There are many uses of passion fruit. In this part of our article we’ll show you not just how to eat passion fruit, but also provide passion fruit recipes that can help you take full advantage of passion fruit health benefits.
Eating Passion Fruit
You can experience most passion fruit health benefits by eating it frequently. The simplest way to eat passion fruit is to cut the fruit in half and eat the pulp and seeds with a spoon. There are many other delicious ways to prepare passion fruit as part of your next meal, including:
- Using the pulp and seeds as a cake and ice cream sundae topping.
- Mixing passion fruit with Greek yogurt.
- Mixing passion fruit with oil and balsamic vinegar to make salad dressing.
- Using passion fruit pulp to flavor a variety of drinks.
Passion Fruit Tea
You’ve probably heard of passion fruit tea and may be wondering what the passion fruit tea benefits are. Many of the same passion fruit benefits that apply to the pulp apply to tea as well. Passion fruit tea is esepcially beneficial when dealing with the symptoms of mild insomnia and anxiety. The best way to take advantage of passion fruit tea benefits is by using dried passion fruit flowers. Here is how you can easily make this beneficial tea yourself:
- Buy some dried passion flowers.
- Boil one cup of water
- Grind 2 grams of passion flower into a fine powder
- Add the ground passion flower to the water and keep boiling it for around 15 to 20 minutes
- Strain the flower material out of the liquid
Passion Fruit Oils
The skin health benefits of passion fruit mostly come from the oils in the seeds and flowers. There are many passion fruit oil extracts on the market. You can use this oil by:
- Applying it to your skin for moisturizing and relieving itchy rashes.
- Rubbing it into sore muscles as part of a massage.
- Inhaling the oil’s aroma to help with anxiety and insomnia.
Passion fruit oil can be purchased in health food stores or online.
Passion fruit is worth a try if you are suffering from anxiety, insomnia, poor digestion, constipation, or skin conditions. Its nutritional value is great for staying fit and losing any those stubborn extra pounds. To get the full health benefits of passion fruit, you can choose between its tasty pulp and seeds, calming flower tea, and soothing oil extracts. If you have experienced passion fruit health benefits or simply want to know more, please share.